Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Home for the Holidays




Finding a place to survive when your world has been torn apart.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s Christmas, Hanukkah, Solstice or another observance that you celebrate at this time of year, our memories of being HOME for it are probably similar.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Mark. I just cannot do all the holiday stuff..I am trying but I just can't. I wish there was a place I could go to where I can't hear Christmas songs, where I don't see other people being happy..where families are together. My husband made my family all the better, without him I am lost and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to get away from the holiday music and decorations, Sallie. They are everywhere. And the message is that everyone should be happy, so everyone who isn't, feels doubly sad. Evelyn loved Christmas and I picked up on her energy. I hope you find something that you like to do or eat, and this year it probably won't even be connected to any holiday. Something that lets you breathe deeply and enjoy the moment. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I am being so gentle with myself that it is embarrassing. I'm allowing myself to be the Grinch this year. I bought presents for myself "from" my dead father and daughter. I'm hoarding chocolates for the actual days of the holidays, for when I feel deprived of the holiday cheers and chaos that sail all around me. Take care of yourself, too, Mark.

    ReplyDelete