Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Mindfulness










I come to this season needing to slow down. Life has become too hectic again. There is so much that I have to do, and too much that I want to do. The holidays only add on extra chores and more activities. 

I need time to do nothing, at least for a few days, and move at nature’s pace. I want to be mindful of what I’m doing and speak only from my heart in my interactions with others. I don’t want to bounce through every day like a ball in a pinball machine. I need to feel grounded again. And I want to be surprised in simple ways. 


I need to step away from tasks and just breathe, free of expectations. But I have to be patient and wait for the season to reveal, in its own time, what it will reveal. I cannot force insights to come. I cannot entice wisdom to descend. I cannot pressure the unexpected to happen. I have to trust and be receptive of gifts I don’t anticipate and which I may not think I need. 

Sitting still and listening to the quiet is hard in this season. The celebrations, music, and festive lights distract from what I need. What I need is what lies underneath. This is a time of waiting, and I do not wait well.

Slow me down that I may listen to the quiet of nature.

Slow me down that I may hear what people are saying behind their words.

Slow me down that I may be present to this moment and to the hearts of the people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment