Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Service of Healing


Journal entry 9

Today there’s going to be a Service of Healing and Hope at my congregation, so I give up the notion of going up to Lake Chabot and sitting by myself under the eucalyptus trees. I’m hoping to repair what has been torn apart. I walk up to the server on the left not knowing what to ask for, but knowing that something is needed. 

“What healing do you seek?” he asks gently.

“Grief,” is the only word I can get out.

“May this oil bring healing to your sorrow,” he prays. “Know that a community of faith holds you in its arms.” He makes the sign of the cross on my forehead with oil warmed by the touch of his fingers, warmth that opens like a blossom through my body. 


“Thanks be to God,” I say, wondering why I don’t recognize the server.

No comments:

Post a Comment