Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Morning After Death


Journal 5

The morning after Evelyn’s death, I don’t know what to do, think, or feel. I’m probably in shock.

Life has suddenly been rearranged. Half of my life has been taken away. The entire context for why I went to work and all of my dreams for the future, have been wiped off the chart.

I can’t envision a future without Evelyn. I can’t even think of tomorrow. I barely have enough awareness to sense what I need to do right today.

I should probably eat something, although I don’t feel hungry.
I should probably feed the cats; they’ve been meowing for some time now.

And then? I don’t know.


I get out of bed and feed the cats, fill their water bowl, clean the litter box. Then I sit in a chair and stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment