Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Always the Limp?

CS Lewis wrote that dealing with grief was like adjusting to life with one leg amputated. He said that our whole way of life changes, and that while we may get around pretty well, we will probably walk with a limp and have recurrent pain for the rest of our life. After his wife died, Lewis didn’t think he would ever walk smoothly again.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

Postnote

Deborah Greene wrote movingly about her father’s death and the Japanese art form kintsugi, a method of restoring broken pottery with a lacquer of precious metal. You can read her March 18 post, “On Grief and Brokenness” at http://reflectingoutloud.net/2016/03/18/on-grief-brokenness/

No comments:

Post a Comment