Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Grieving For Our Pets

When our pets die, we mourn the loss of our companions, our family, our friends.

My short essay at The Huffington Post.



2 comments:

  1. This sums up what I find impossible to explain to others about why my grief over lost pets is so immense and just never ends. I have just lost my wee dog Max, the love of my life. His adoration for me and mine for him is beyond any words I have to describe or explain. As the human in our relationship, my failings were many. His were none. What he did for me and gave me is simply irreplaceable. My world has stopped yet to so many my grief is baffling, which is very isolating. Thank you for describing my loss better than I have ever been able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you feel this way means that you have experienced something very special. When we bond with pets like this, their loss hits us hard. They are indeed irreplaceable.

      Delete