Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Morning

The early light
softens the dark hills
and warms the table
where we ate breakfast.

I place food in the bowl
for our cats.
Water our orchids
with my tears.

Your words have become
a sacrament,
your eyes the candles
in the temple.

If anything is sacred, my love,
in this world of dust,
it was your touch
on my hand each morning.

It is unfinished,
the work you began.
My heart is shrouded
with grief.

I find it hard
to pray
because my words are dark
without your light.

And yet ...

The sunlight is warm.
Our cats rub against my legs.
A new day has begun.
And the orchids are still beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment