Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Brothers and Sisters To All Creation



Halloween, Part 4.

Sometimes we hear the voice of a family member who has died, or we feel their presence. Is it real?

Out of the blue, I think to send something nice to a friend in another state. When it arrives three days later, it’s exactly what she needs. Is something more going on than coincidence?

We are more connected to each other than we think, both the living and the dead.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

2 comments:

  1. I wonder the same thing about my ancestors. And I have to believe its true. I am very into genealogy and I feel so close to my great grandparents and their families even though I never met the. I feel a connection to them that I don't believe is based solely on the fact that I know we share DNA. Its an actual "bond" that I feel in my heart.

    Many of them were lawyers which didn't surprise me at all when I found that out because I am really good at debating and I feel a strong desire for "justice" and to get people to see my side of things. These are personality traits that I know were passed down from them. I also feel their presence sometimes in my day to day life and I just know that somehow on some level that we may not even know exists...they are with me. Thanks for another great post. I really love your blog. Its one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It is a fascinating field of study about what is coded in our genes and in our memories. I can't wait to see what happens here in the next twenty years.

    ReplyDelete