Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Loving Differently

This is a reflection not on romantic love, but love.

            *
I love you, even though we have never met. I love you because you have suffered a terrible loss and are grieving. I know how important it is in this time to feel love from other people, even people you don’t know.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

4 comments:

  1. "I want to love like this because after people came and cared for me in the early months of my grief, they slipped away unobtrusively, their work done. My gratitude to them runs deep." - "So many people need a kind word, a moment of our listening, and nothing more than this. To know that someone else understands, that someone else has endured a similar grief, helps ease the sorrow." Thank you for this collection of beautiful thoughts. It feels like a promise to yourself. A promise to show up and exist. I am glad you are here, Mark. I am glad you show up and share your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is people like you, Elea, that inspires me to write such things.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, Mark. It is beautiful. I share the gratitude you spoke of, for the people who wrapped their arms around me when I was in my deepest grief. And I, too, want to open my arms wide, to others who need it, which is all of us. It is hard work and it is the most important thing we can do for the planet. I am sharing this. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia. One way you open your heart is through your insightful writings about grief.

      Delete