Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Grief's Heart

Whidbey Island 2

My heart is a wooden room, an open octagon with cushions on the oak floors. It is rooted in the earth and rises from it. It is connected to the ocean in front and to the mountains behind. It is organic and breathes. Love lives here in the midst of sorrow.

My heart is a wooden room with many people inside. We sit on cushions and share our struggles and joys with each other. We are rooted in the earth and to each other. Our love rises in the morning from the deep ocean and flows in waves to each other. It dances in the afternoon breeze like prayer flags in the woods. Our presence nourishes one another.

My heart is a wooden room. It waits patiently when no one is inside. It remembers the whispers of your voice and the softness of your hands on my skin. It takes me from what has been to what will be. It is rooted in mystery.


My heart is a wooden room. It grows as I share my life with others. In the beating of your heart, I hear the rhythm of my own. Its fire may flicker but it will never go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment