Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Love is a River

With grief, love moves from being a noun to being a river.

Like the river, love does not exist if it’s not in motion. We do not possess love as if it were a thing that can be stored on the shelf. Love exists only in sharing. When we stop sharing love, it goes away.

I break my love in two and give half to you. If you love me back, the piece you give is fused to the piece I kept.

Gradually I become everyone who has loved me, and I end up caring for you with the love of hundreds who have cared for me, from casual relationships to intimate ones. Who I am ends up scattered among the people I have loved. The love of others is a chisel that removes the unneeded parts, until I stand sculpted before with nothing to hide.

And I will love you with the love that has become me, until we both are transformed into love.

Love is a river.


Love is an act of becoming.


Love is a river.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mark. I will read that one a few times through. It has such deep and interwoven meaning and imagery.


    Thank you,

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you love me back"...
    and if you don't love me back and hurt me, still ...
    "I care for you with the love of hundreds who have cared for me"...
    How pretty!

    ReplyDelete