Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

In the Tender Early Light

After people die, there are certain times of the day when we feel their absence or presence most keenly. These are moments frozen in time, and even if they happened a decade ago, they can feel as if they happened yesterday. Maybe it is 5 p.m., the time when they would always start to cook dinner. Perhaps it was something you would do together on Sunday mornings, like read the paper together or walk to the bakery for scones. Maybe it was watching a favorite television show every Thursday night.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

            *


One of my essays on grief and loving deeply was published this week by The Edge Magazine. You can read it at: http://www.edgemagazine.net/2015/03/the-personal-paradigm-shift/

No comments:

Post a Comment