Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Madonnas: The Compassion of Mothers


I am delighted to have an essay published today by The Manifest Station. It speaks about the great compassion of women and the lives they have nurtured in the world throughout the centuries. This is from early in my grief. You can read it at:


The celebration of Epiphany is observed today, when Mary, the mother of the newborn Jesus, after taking the risk of saying “Yes” and opening her life to the Spirit, welcomed three wisdom teachers of the East. Because of their gifts, she realized what her future grief would be.

Nine months after Evelyn died, feeling restless and wanting to do something other than mope around the house, I went to Lake Merritt in Oakland, California to be in a place where she liked to go on her lunch breaks, thinking it was time for my own new life to be born. 



While sitting there, I remembered the compassion that Evelyn had for so many others who were dying, grieving, or struggling with troubled children. I also thought about Mary’s compassion, and the unsung compassion of so many other women who have taken on suffering in order that others might heal.

This essay is in honor of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment