Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Comfort in a Time of Grief


There is no true comfort when we’re deep in grief. When we’re done actively grieving, it’s different. But not by much.



Usually I approach a topic with my head, wanting to sketch out the landscape to be covered. Then I work my way around to my feelings. This time I’m starting from the other end.

It will never be all right that Evelyn suffered for years with physical aches and pains, worked hard to recover and was almost back to full health when she died of an unknown heart problem. She was in her forties. I was bitter about that then, and I’m bitter about it now.

I accept the reality of death. But it’s not all right with me when people die early, especially teenagers and infants. It’s not all right that innocent people suffer with horrible illnesses and die, or that people die because of someone else’s stupidity, anger, or inattention.

*** You can read the full text at Refuge in Grief, https://www.refugeingrief.com/2014/11/17/mark-liebenow/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment