Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday, I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another. To follow, please leave your email address.

To follow, please leave your Email address.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Cairn of Stone


I gather the heavy stones,
stack them in a cairn above your bones,
and for what has died inside,

stack sorrow and anger,
despair and rage alongside stones
of loneliness, devotion, and love.

Weary, I lean back
against grief’s hard ache,
sort the husks of memories,
weep for our dreams
and the years we will not have.
A hot breeze stirs the dust.

This is a dry, desolate land,
the far territory of human existence.
People do not linger here.

I listen to the rasp of the scrub brush,
watch ravens circle overhead

in dusk’s darkening air.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mark, for being able to say what I have felt, in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete