Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Solitude or Loneliness?




Journal entry 19

Am I a widower or a bachelor?

A widower because I have a pocket stuffed with tissues. There’s no sense of nobility or strength in being such, regardless of what people tell me. I’m simply relieved to function well enough to get through the day.


There was the peace in marriage to Ev, and freedom to be in solitude now and then, without fear of loneliness butting in its head. Because of our bond, I could hike by myself for a week in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, exploring the beauty and harshness of life in the wilderness, then come home, share what I had found, and we would draw closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment