Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Questioning Faith


Journal entry 18

If I had unquestioning faith, I’d sluff off Ev’s death like the missionary in Peru whose wife and son died when their aircraft was mistakenly shot down as a drug plane. He forgave everyone and said that God was showing him something, so he was grateful. 

Faith doesn’t amount to much until it’s tested. 

This is my test, and it doesn’t feel like I’m doing very well. Yet John Donne wrote that we need to examine our religious convictions and not follow faith blindly, because when tragedy strikes, the grand and lofty ideals come apart in the face of stark reality and we’re left with nothing. 

If faith is to be real, it has to be rooted in our struggles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment