Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Under the Surface



Journal entry 11

On the Monday after Evelyn’s memorial service, my parents drag me out of the house and we go to San Francisco for lunch at Scoma’s on Fishermen’s Wharf. The day clears of morning fog and warms into the mid-70s. Ev first met them at this restaurant, so afraid that they wouldn’t like her, and she tried to dress just right and say the right things.

After lunch we wander along the waterfront to the alcove that overlooks the Golden Gate and watch the great ocean liners and freighters slide effortlessly by. All the work in pushing the ships is being done under water, invisible to our eyes, yet it moves the ships to their ports. Hopefully grief is moving me along like that, because I don't see anything happening on the surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment