Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Solitude












In the wilderness I find solitude.

It’s time away from everything that pushes and pulls at me at home. I have time to let go and hear what has been unsaid, to feel again, and think my way through situations that seem to have no answers.

This trip to Yosemite, seven months after Evelyn’s death, I’ve come to deal with grief that has gone on for longer than I expected. I will not deliberately think about grief, but I know it will show up. 

High on the Panorama Trail, as I watch a red-tailed hawk glide overhead, longing rises for something more than grief. I long for what exists beyond the death of one person and the grief of another. Longing has been absent these last few months, and it feels good to want something again. But what?


I sit alone on a stone mountain and wait for insights to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment