Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday, I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Literal Latte Essay Online



Today the Literal Latte Journal published my essay "Tinkering with Grief in the Woods." You can read it at www.literal-latte.com/2012/09/tinkering-with-grief-in-the-woods/

The essay won this year's contest, and it’s a chapter from my grief manuscript that deals with the period a year after Evelyn’s death when I still didn’t know what I was going to do with my life without Evelyn being part of it. The essay describes the week I spent at Gethsemani Monastery in Kentucky and began to find answers.

Although I am not Catholic, I have long valued the words of Thomas Merton, a monk who lived there for over twenty years, writing of the presence he found in solitude, and the journey of finding one’s self.
What I found there, in the chanting of the monks and in walking through the woods around the monastery, helped me to accept Evelyn’s death and begin to let her go so that I could continue on.

If you have thoughts about the essay, let me know either here or at the Literal Latte site.


Thanks, Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment