Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday, I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Grieving in Nature







The natural world has been critical in my recovery. The beauty and wonder of the outdoors continually lifts my eyes up from the ground to see the trees and mountains around me.
Nature helps me see beyond my individual grief to understand that every individual is also part of a greater community. By watching the cycle of life and death go on in nature, season by season, I begin to accept the deaths of people I’ve loved, and begin to accept that this is the way of life. The death of one season leads to the regeneration of the next.

Coyote, ouzel, deer, bear, red-tailed hawk are each part of this, as well as the rivers, mountains, and meadows that shine during the day, as well as the stars and owls I watch fly through the dark night sky.  

Nature centers my life. It is sacred. It is home.













No comments:

Post a Comment