Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Grief At a Party




It’s a common enough occurrence. 

I will be at a party talking to different people about a variety of topics when someone will say something about themselves, or ask something of me, and I either bring up the death of Evelyn or I don’t. 

If I sense that they have experience with grief, I let the door swing open and we share what’s on our minds and hearts, offering insights that might help each other.

This happened the other night at a bonfire party. Towards the end of the evening, a conversation started up on the side with a woman who had lost her teenage son five years ago. She said that most of the time she does fine, but there are some days when everything about him comes crashing back. 

I knew what she meant. Seeing the suffering in her eyes brought my own grief back from nine years before, and I choked up. I said that I didn’t think anything would ever wrench our lives as much as their deaths did.

Besides the length of time that has passed since Evelyn died, I’ve also been writing about my recovery experiences. It’s not like I’ve been hiding from grief, so the sudden upwelling of emotion surprised me. 


The grief we feel for someone we dearly loved is never gone. Nor is their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment