Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Monday, April 10, 2023

Today

 


It’s about this day. It has always been about this day. It’s what we do today that matters. If we do nothing new today, then yesterday, and all the holy days that came before it, amount to nothing. If we do not go through this day with “love, compassion, and empathy for others,” as my friend Sasha says, then what have we learned?

 

Last week, years ago, my wife Evelyn died suddenly and inexplicably in her 40s. A few days later, on this day, her organs were transplanted into four women who were on the verge of dying and had no real expectation of survival, only hope. They lived because Evelyn thought of others and planned ahead. 

 

Death and resurrection have brought us to this day. Take life to others today.

No comments:

Post a Comment