Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Holiday Black and Blues

The holiday season began with Thanksgiving. We took a deep breath and stepped on the roller coaster ride that would zip us through a gauntlet of paper-wrapped, bow-tied, fancy-dan celebrations and parties, changing out the decorations of one as the next holiday begins. 

Depending upon your background, your formal observances could include Hanukkah, Advent, the Winter Solstice, Christmas, Kwanzaa, and New Year’s. (Diwali comes easier in many years.) In addition, we have all of our seasonal gatherings with family and friends.
  
For those of us who lost loved ones this year, the holidays will be a nightmare.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

No comments:

Post a Comment