Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Dress the Mouse in Black

I’m honored and delighted to be one of three finalists for @Lunch Ticket Journal’s “Diana Woods Memorial Award” for creative nonfiction.

My essay speaks about the need to take your mouse (grief) out of the house now and then. It also surveys the landscape of grief and how religions and cultures have dealt with death and grief over the centuries.





2 comments:

  1. OMG I read the whole thing! Great essay, Mark. I loved reading about the different ways different people deal with death and grieving. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin, for letting me know. It began when I was searching to understand grief and how to grieve. I figured that since people have been dying for a long time, some cultures would have created traditions and rites to help those who were grieving among them.

      Delete