Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Dark World Community

              Since Evelyn’s death, I often go to Yosemite, and in the middle of the night, I walk into the meadow and lose myself in the wonder of the constellations turning overhead.


            Without city lights, the stars are clear and bright and seem almost close enough to touch. Everyone in the valley has turned in for the night, even the animals, except for a few who are looking for a late night snack, and I try not to think about them. The meadow is so quiet that I can hear the hoot of an owl on the other side of the valley and the footsteps of what I hope is a coyote trotting by.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

No comments:

Post a Comment