Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I Have Seen Enough

I have seen enough DEATH, with its ragged canyons, to be weary of life and what shoe might fall next. The deaths of a wife, friends, parents and beloved pets have made we wary of letting myself care too much.

I have seen enough GRIEF to know that almost everyone is mourning some loss, almost everyone is struggling to make sense of a death that has taken away someone they loved, almost everyone is weary and want it to end.

But in the community of grievers, there is life, even if only a few of us are gathered around a warm campfire, people who move to the beat of a drum, who chant words of defiance from the cathedrals of our hearts. Among the bereaved there are mountains of beauty and rivers of strength in a place where I thought only devastation and chaos lived.

I have seen enough LOVE to know that there is a great meadow of COMPASSION. People who do not need to do so, come and sit with us through the long, cold night as we watch the moon travel through the sky.

There is enough HOPE because we are picking ourselves up and yelling that Death isn’t going to be the last word or have the last dance. And because we care, if not for ourselves, then for each other.


I am honored by your courage.

2 comments: