Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Valentine For Grief


A Valentine for Grief.
My essay at the Huffington Post. 


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter. Waits is the voice I imagine hearing in Grief's cafe late at night. The long meditative songs of the Grateful Dead would fit well, too. Six months ago and cancer. I'm sorry, Peter. That's too young. And probably so near the time of stepping away from work to do what you both were waiting to do together. Evelyn and I were together 18 years. If there is something you've been wondering about but do not see addressed on the blog, send me a note and I'll see about writing about it. Thank you for letting me know you liked the post.

      Delete
  2. Today.....he will have been gone for almost four years on May 10th. Fifty-one years together. Sobbing is no more, but tears still arrive at unexpected moments.

    Yesterday, my 73rd birthday. He always found the most perfect card. He wasn't much good at picking out gifts but Oh My his cards. I spent the day at a retreat with quilting friends, it was a good day but I've missed three years of Valentine and birthday cards. Tiny tears seep through....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, to have your birthday and Valentine's Day so close together! So hard, I imagine, right now, remembering what had been a celebration of you and a celebration of your love with your husband. Three years without his cards for either occasion! I'm not surprised there are tears. Tears of sadness and loss, and tears for those good memories of joy. I have a quilt made by a friend, and I treasure it because it was crafted with love. She gathered together worn pieces of the past and creating something that keeps me warm when it feels too cold at home. Thank you for sharing your words.

      Delete