Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

In Darkness My Heart Lives

I hurry through the bright immolation of day to reach the cool solace of night. In the settling of the glowing sun into the long evening hours, shadows deepen into the purity of dark blue skies, and I calm.

Leaning back in the chair on the porch, I find my heart. The people I’ve loved live in this darkness. Their absence deepens into longing in these empty hours. Deepens into ache.

I feel the rhythm of the Earth’s ocean dance flow like a tide against distant cosmic shores, ebb and flow, and ebb and flow back.
In the darkness with the light of day gone, I listen to the murmuring of the world as it cools from the heat of activities. I listen to the tired voices of people in my neighborhood turning in to find rest and sleep. I listen to the settling of my feelings held in this bowl of silence.

Alone in the blackness of midnight, a warm presence comes and sits beside me. And to this, I say yes.


I say yes.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I'm sitting in the silent darkness on my porch, too. Thank you for describing this so well and for being another witness.

    ReplyDelete