Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Cafe of Grief



When we lose someone we love, we become members of the Grief Café. It doesn’t matter who died or under what circumstances, we loved them and our hearts are broken and leaking. There are no dues and only one initiation rite, which we’ve already gone through. A look in the eyes is enough to tell who belongs. But to participate in the Grief Café, you have to open the door.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

Related posts

2 comments:

  1. Strange but true how easily people who have known loss will bond. Ever since my daughter died, four years ago, most of my friends are those in the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad that this is true, Robin. But we gravitate to those who understand and can help us understand more.

      Delete