Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tears


Tears are holy.
Tears come when we stand vulnerable before people,
            battered, weary, scared,
            our defenses down.
They come from the flowing of life’s river through us.
They come from pools of water welling up within us.


* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. So beautiful. Ah, those tears. My only brother & sibling has a recurrence of esophageal cancer. I spoke with him Sunday and he was beginning a new therapeutic regime. Seemed hopeful, although I know what "Hail Mary" cancer treatment is like. Today I learned he's in the hospital. I'm in FL since Tuesday and no one remembered to let me know because he's the one who communicates with me. More tears.Tears that I did not know. Tears my brother is suffering. Tears of impatience that I can't hop in the car and drive 8 hours to be at his side, but have to wait for someone to tell me whether to wait until my Sunday plane home or fly directly and immediately to Boston. Don't yet know enough to decide. Tears of helpless waiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. Yes, not only tears over what has happened, but also tears of waiting, tears of not knowing what is happening, tears for someone who is suffering and not knowing what will be demanded of them in the near future. I will hold you in my thoughts and heart over the next few days, and breathe compassion your way.

      Delete