Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday, I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another. To follow, please leave your email address.

To follow, please leave your Email address.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Possessions



Journal entry 24
           
My unpleasant task today is to sort through more of Evelyn’s possessions, this time it’s her bathroom supplies to see what I can use. There are shampoos, soaps, brushes, combs, tampons, a new razor that Evelyn wanted me to try (a Mach 3), hair caps, the tint we used to lightly color her hair, and a number of mysterious beauty items like blue goo for cleaning your face. 

Feeling silly, I give the goo a try, letting it go to work as I continue sorting. The aqua-colored paste spreads over my face, heats up when rubbed with a little water, and turns blue as it cleans the pores. At least I think that’s the theory. Afterward my face is silky smooth. And a little raw, like it took off a layer of skin. 

I save the Chinese herbal medicines from Barb, Ev’s sister and a certified Chinese acupuncturist, to ward off colds, and several gallon jugs of conditioner bought from Marla, a hairdressing friend who changed businesses. Most of the sorting is mechanical. Angrily I throw away the pills prescribed by various doctors in the months before her death to deal with aches and pains that would not get better.


When I’m finished, I sit on the bathroom floor and realize that I’ve moved Evelyn another step away from me. How many steps will there be before I lose sight of her? How many steps before I lose touché with her presence in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment