Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

One Morning in September




Journal entry 25

Five months after Evelyn died came the events of September 11, and I felt nothing. 

My world had already collapsed into itself. My home had already been destroyed and my loved one was dead. “Welcome to my world,” I thought from my dark house boarded with anger and sorrow. People around me were in shock and mourning, but my reaction told me that I was no longer among the living. I had moved to existing among the dead.


A few days later, watching the faces of people grieving on TV, I began to cry. I felt the enormity of what John Donne had said, that we are all parts of one other, and each person’s death diminishes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment