Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

If you would like to be notified whenever I post something new, please enter your email here.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Diversion, Companion, or Guide?




Diversion, Companion, or Guide?
Journal entry 26

Sometimes we need diversion from grief, but diversion that is meaningful beyond the superficial and frothy we often use to fill the hours when we don’t want to think about anything; we just want to escape. The Inspector Morse mystery series on PBS filled this need for me. Each week I would tune to and watch Chief Inspector Morse try to figure out why there was a dead body, who was responsible, and why they did it.

He was a resilient pessimist who struggled with his own demons, wanting to know why life held so much sadness. He had his classical music, crosswords, a few good friends, and ale to keep him going. I’d tune in with warm beer in hand and wait until he got to a pub, then we would drink to our sorrows together.


He was dealing with people who were struggling to get through the day, of lives ending and survivors having to live on, and he had the strength to endure facing this turmoil in his work. This is what I needed to see. Each week this show gave me something to look forward to, and each week I found new hope to continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment