Who I am.

I write about the landscape of grief, nature, and the wisdom of fools. The author of four books, my essays, poems, and reviews have been published in over 50 journals, including in the Huffington Post and Colorado Review. I’ve won the River Teeth Nonfiction Book Award, the Chautauqua and Literal Latte’s essay prizes, and my work has been nominated for four Pushcart Prizes and named a notable by Best American Essays. My account of hiking in Yosemite to deal with my wife’s death, Mountains of Light, was published by the University of Nebraska Press. http://www.markliebenow.com.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

When Death Comes










When death comes and grief begins, the world turns gray and sounds go mute. The shock of death sets us on the edge of a canyon where everything falls away before us, and we scarcely comprehend the enormity of what has happened.

Death makes us face and question the Other, the Almighty, the Ultimate Reality, whatever the power is that we devote our lives and hearts to, because someone we dearly loved has died.

* If you would like to read the rest of this post, let me know and I’ll send it to you. *

No comments:

Post a Comment