Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Listening to Birds: Judy Rasmussen


December 2

After Evelyn died eight years ago, people wrote letters of condolence. Many of her friends didn’t know what to say for someone who died in her forties. Her death seemed wrong because we knew the good she was doing with her compassion for others and would continue to do for forty more years.

One of the letters came from Judy, talking about an early encounter with Evelyn when they were still strangers:

          My heart is so heavy that I can’t express myself. I am sitting in my garden listening to the birds. I can hear Evelyn’s hearty laughter beyond their sound and hear her sing. Her presence is strong. I remember Evelyn approaching me after my sister’s passing. I barely knew her. She put her arms around me, drew me in, and helped me begin the healing process. Evelyn’s warmth and sensitivity are embedded in my heart.


This week Judy, a talented artist, died of cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment