Every Wednesday

Every Wednesday, I will post something about grief. Sometimes it will be a reflection on an aspect of grief’s landscape. Now and then I will share from my own journey of grief, because in the sharing of our stories we find strength and build a community of people that support one another. To follow, please leave your email address.

To follow, please leave your Email address.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Listening in Quiet Woods


February 18



In the weeks after Evelyn’s death, I begin living in a cabin and piling up the stones of her memories.

Occasionally I walk into the woods to get away from grief’s overbearing presence, to listen to nature and forget my heart for a time in the grand mysteries of the wilderness.
I listen to dry leaves crunch under my shoes, breathe in fresh, cold air, and lift my head enough to see the birds that are talking in the trees — chickadees, nuthatches, and several wrens. Their songs make me smile for a moment before I’m pulled back under by grief.

In the stillness of the night hours, in the liturgy of the spaces that open in the dark, I hear sounds I have not heard before. 


Even though my life is in shambles, even though I don’t know where I go from here, even though it feels like so much has died, the woods are still here, alive, and beautiful.  



No comments:

Post a Comment